Wednesday, July 16, 2008

First words already?

Saya has become quite a babbler. I never noticed how much she babbles until about two days ago when she babbled "mum, mum, mum" and "ba, ba, ba" (Ba meaning "father" in Vietnamese) everytime she wanted something. I'm beginning to think that she has associated "mum" with me, in other words, food! Shame on me, I don't even know when she started to babble. I know it's just her babbling, but when does the "mum" and "ba" become a first word then? When she learns to associate the word with an object? Oh wells...

On another note, Saya seems to be more interested in solids. She constantly stares at us when we eat (sometimes her eyes even follow my spoon as it moves from the plate to my mouth) and puckers her lips like she wants some too. I think it's really cute. I bought her a sippy cup and filled it with water so that she can experiment with something else other than my breasts! She loves the sippy cup. She won't drink milk from it, but she adores playing with it and drinking water from it. (Of course, I give her very little water for fear of water intoxication). I think Saya is ready for solids (evident the other day when she beamed with joy after my sister sister gave Saya a taste of Ben's food), but I'm debating on whether I should start this early. I'm looking into trying the baby-led-weaning method, but don't know how much easier it is compared to mainstream solid feeding. I'll look into the topic a little more.

By the way, Saya turns 5 months in eight more days. She still doesn't know how to turn over yet. In fact, she doesn't seem interested in turning over at all. I encourage her by putting toys and bright colored objects to the side and giving her a little nudge to turn over, but she just rolls on her back and hold her feet with her two hands. The other day, during a family bbq, one of my very good friends, Mylan, (after having watched Saya) excitingly mentioned to me that Saya knew how to roll over. I thought, darn it, I wasn't there to record it! But then I learned that Saya only knew how to roll on her back from her tummy, which she learned in the early days of being able to hold her head up during tummy time. So it wasn't anything surprising like the way Mylan portrayed it to be. But now that I think about it, am I not paying as much attention as I should be? I guess this whole parenting thing has made me more absent minded. (Hence, why I need to keep a journal to remind myself of those more sane-minded days.)

No comments: