Sunday, September 22, 2013

Absence makes the heart grow fonder...or stronger

I'm brought to tears. It's been almost a month since I started med school, more than 100 miles away from Saya. In the beginning, I admit I had taken the separation more easily than I thought I would. I had some of the best sleep I've had in years. I still can't imagine how I will ever be able to SURVIVE med school with all the distractions at home. Plus, my love for my new home and the family I've found in my classmates has made this experience so memorable in many ways. But then again, I'm a mother before anything else....

A few days ago, Saya said to H,"Daddy, "Why can't we be a family? It's like something's missing when Mommy's gone." As she places her hand on her chest, she asked "Why does it hurt here?" I think it broke my heart too. Saya, just barely a kindergartener, was able to elicit the feelings she described so accurately in me. We've been video chatting every night, but I know it's not the same as being able to hold her and kiss her ad nauseum in a day. I can only imagine how hard this is for her, but at the same time I want her to learn that that I'm pursuing bigger and better things (as I want her to do). I want her to learn that some that things in life are worth sacrificing .Hang in there baby girl. No matter where I am, I will always be there for you. Now I will go and snuggle with my baby during the precious night I share with her.

2 comments:

Rosa said...

Awe, this made me tear up! Saya is very smart and aware for her age, and while she misses you, she understands mommy is doing this for you, her, and H :)

Rosa said...

Awe, this made me tear up! Saya is very smart and aware for her age, and while she misses you, she understands mommy is doing this for you, her, and H :)